If you folded a piece of paper 42 times, it would be thick enough to reach the moon.
KINDNESS * TEAMWORK * PASSION * INTEGRITY * COURAGE * RESPECT
As you may or may not know, the Home Learners Service Group and the Drama Club joined forces to make 150 Birthday cards for residents of the High Shoals Health and Rehab Center. Each card consists of a birthday message and a “It’s My Birthday” sticker. As you can read in the thank you card, the Center will be using the cards to create a “Rolling Birthday Party” each month! Student participants- in this act of kindness – are Anan Shen, Wyatt Sears, Neela Sudhagar, Taylor Ray-Bush, Harper Purcell, James Purcell, Mae Kline, and Mary Goggin.
Last weekend the ACAD Model UN team competed in the UGA High School Model UN Conference (UGAMUNC), held virtually this year. During the closing ceremonies, one of the conference organizers said that, across the board, the Athens Academy team prepared the best position papers and that they were most impressed. Congratulations, team! Here are some specific awards!
- Kathryn Nichols (2022) & Brayden Edmonds (2021)… Best Position Paper, Nigeria, General Assembly 4th Committee
- Anan Shen (2021)… Best Position Paper, Malaysia, Organization of Islamic Cooperation
- Michael Klass (2022)… Honorable Mention, Nigeria, Organization of Islamic Cooperation
- McKenzie Elrod (2021)… Honorable Mention, 2016 Election Crisis Simulation
- Ingrid Nilsson (2022)… Honorable Mention, Lord of the Rings Crisis Simulation
- Elizabeth Marx (2022) & Annie Cross (2022)… Distinguished Delegation, Nigeria, General Assembly 3rd Committee
- Jackson Scruggs (2023)… Distinguished Delegate, Nigeria, Organization of Islamic Cooperation
- Imana Adogu (2022)… Distinguished Delegate, Malaysia, Commission on the Status of Women
“Meredith has had an outstanding season averaging 8ppg and shooting 33% from the three point line. Most recently Meredith had a season high 4 three’s in the first half vs. Prince Ave, helping to lead us to victory. Meredith is a great player, teammate, and leader. Congratulations Meredith!“ –Brian Olson, Head Coach, Varsity Girls Basketball
“Deion has been a leader of our program, not just this year, but during his 4 year career at Athens Academy. He shows up every day ready to compete and consistently sets the tone for the day. Because of these attributes, Deion has been a pleasure to coach. We are all going to be proud watching Deion play on Saturdays and beyond!” –Mike Salvia, Head Coach, Varsity Boys Basketball
If you are intersted in esports this year, please contact Mr. Farmer. We are currently offering Rocket League and League of Legends.
February is Black History Month. The month honors African American people’s rich range of experiences, struggles and achievements throughout history and into the modern day. Each day in February, we will be sharing a couple of quotes from civil rights icons.
“If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
—Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Random Acts of Kindness: Last Week!
- Here are examples of Random Acts of Kindness. Feel free to include others. Print out the form and keep track.
- We’d love to share your acts of kindness on ACAD Daily, so take a picture and send to email@example.com.
- Report your acts to your advisor.
- This week, you will receive double points for your acts of kindness to your SCHOOL.
- Starts: Now Ends:Valentines Day
- Top advisory wins a Pizza Lunch, Top grade wins a dress down day.
Need Help With Math?
Try Peer Tutoring!
Volunteer peer tutors are excited to help you understand concepts from class, figure out homework problems, prepare for a quiz or test, and improve your understanding. Benefits:
- One-on-one / small-group help from a friendly and knowledgeable peer
- Support for any class (Algebra 1 to AP Calculus BC)
- In-person and online options available
Please note we have shifted to a by-appointment model for spring semester. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your first meeting!
Don’t forget you must sign in and out even if you have parent permission to leave! You will serve detention if you forget. We need to know if you are on campus. Thank you!!!
If you need the links to the at-home or return request forms, please email Ms. Rorey: email@example.com. Remember that you should expect to wait 24 hours before you are approved by the school. Therefore, do not submit the request late in the evening or early in the morning and assume that you will immediately have permission to attend online or return to school. Thank you!
Please help us stay healthy so we can continue to be together!
Upcoming college visits – all visits take place virtually from 12:55-1:30 (except where noted – links are in college names).